Monday, August 11, 2003

Everywhere I go I am assaulted by sensationalist bullshit. I turn on the t.v.; some repressed homosexual in a uniform is asking America to be prepared for terrorist attack. What fucking terrorist attack? There has been no major attack on the U.S. since we all know when, and even then, canned goods and bottled water would not have kept anyone alive. I flip to the news; news really doesn't exist anymore. All I see and hear on any news station is some horrific story of a father who killed his own children or a little girl abducted and found dead. This is not national news. This is community news. This is the time for the friends and family of the victims to pull together and support them through hard times. There is nothing I can do for a distraught mother in Texas from my easy chair in Florida. The only thing I can do is voice my disgust at these pseudo "news broadcasts" and hope that others will agree and speak up too. If everyone who has ever vomited or cried over a broadcast that was not really news stops watching, perhaps we can discourage stations from airing this bullshit, and as a matter of course, help keep the video camera out of a greiving parent's face.
I went to the post office to buy stamps today. The sign on the wall adveritsing postage that benefits breast cancer research said "These days even your stamp choice may be a matter of life or death." Fear tactics are even being used to sell shit that you would buy anyway. Maybe it is just for fun. It appears the old and faithful "guilt marketing" method has fallen by the wayside. People have become hardened to the suffering of others by watching all of those fat cow Sally Struthers feed the children commercials. "What can I really do?" They ask themselves as they wave off a derelict begging for a buck fifty.
I'll tell you what you can do, you can not be too stingy to give some smelly, dirty, drug addicted loser your pocket change. O.k., so he is not really gonna use it for a bus ride home. That lie is on his shoulders, not yours. You can not support ridiculous sensationalist television programs or stations. It is true, you really can get all the news you need from the "Daily Show with Jon Stewart", and even really scary world news is relayed in the form of a knock-knock joke. You can not buy shit because you are being frightened into it, instead, stick with tradition and buy something only when you are guilted in to it by pictures of kids with dirty faces and Air Jordan high tops (Those are so ten years ago. Those poor children are not only starved for food, but fashion starved as well).

No comments: